Sunday, August 25, 2013

Well some folks say, "She must be a Cadillac"
But I say, "She got to be a T-model Ford"
You know some folks say, "She must be a Cadillac"
I say, "She got to be a T-model Ford"
Yes she got the shape all right but she can't carry no heavy load
--Katie Mae, Lightnin' Hopkins

Update:  This post was created on June 25th as a draft and never got published.  Now that I've finally hit the publish button, it has date stamped it with today's date, which isn't correct.

KD needs a really good cleaning.  I swept and mopped while I was still on the road, and when I stopped after the next hard drive, there was fresh dirt and dead bugs everywhere.  It's in the cracks and crevices, 40 years of grunge that sifts out with the hammering of the road.   Maybe if I just keep cleaning, she'll shake it all out eventually.



This weekend I got a bunch of stuff out of there that I've been itching to pitch out for more than a year.  There was an electric can opener mounted under the kitchen cabinet (?), and an old "Space Saver" radio.  I just don't get the electric can opener.  Of all the useless electric appliances to haul along with you on a camping trip, that one would not be on the top of my list (and everybody that knows me well knows my list is a long one, LOL!).  Anyway, after a bit of struggle getting the screws undone, it's gone.  Likewise the old radio.  The radio probably made a kind of sense at one time, but there are much better options for tunes that run on batteries these days.  It's 'outta there!

I'll also want to replace the paper towel holder, which is a cheapie plastic one.  But it at least serves a purpose, so I'll leave it for now until I get the one I'm going to replace it with.  I think I may put the wooden one in there that was once in my little cabin in the woods in Boulder Creek, and most recently in another little house I loved and couldn't save.  There's a kind of magical quality to that thing now.  It travels to houses I love, and KD is a little house, albeit on wheels.

On to less savory items.  Like the toilet.

 
It's loose on its moorings, isn't hooked up to the water, and I don't want it anyway.  Anyone still reading this blog will sooner or later be treated to my views on the best potty arrangement for camping and RV'ing.   The fancy way to refer to my method is to call it a "dry toilet system."  The down-home term is "bucket toilet".  I'll explain later.  Suffice it to say, that toilet has gotta go.
 

I managed to get it out, and discovered the reason for the loose, rocking action.  One side of the plate it bolts to is broken.  Doesn't matter, I don't want it. 
 
Another little item was this charming tiny corner sink. 
 
 
Yuck.  Ghastly, pus-yellow color so beloved of the seventies.  It's stained and in poor repair, and it's pointless.  The whole bathroom will need rebuilding, and when it is done it won't have a sink.  So I got it out.  Here it is out of the trailer.
 
 
I thought I'd clean it up a little, because it's always possible that somebody would want it if they were trying to restore their Shasta 16SC to original spec.  I spent quite a lot of time scrubbing it and working at the stains, and then thought I'd remove some of the stupid white muck somebody had used to try and stop it leaking around the waste pipe flange.  That's when I discovered the crack at the drain that was covered up by sloppily-applied compound of some sort.  Fortunately, it doesn't matter much to me, since I don't plan on using the sink.  And in fact it could be repaired fairly easily with some fiberglass patching.  The outlet pipe flange looks like it is a little too small, and with a properly sized one you would not see the repair.   I'll see if anyone wants it on one of the vintage trailer forums. 

No comments:

Post a Comment