Sunday, April 27, 2014

Imagining my Best Day

I have a mental picture of me in the cab of UP 4014 (fully restored), highballing down the track in Nebraska in pursuit of a perfect wedge tornado.  I am hanging out of the cab with my video camera going, and I also happen to be in the arms of Thor.  As played by Chris Hemsworth.  The caption on this picture is Mountain Kimmie's Best Day Ever.  The steam crew is back in the lounge car (we will party with them later), and all my favorite chasers are screaming along beside on the highway next to the track.

Ok.  It's stupid.  But it amuses me.

I am off to go see Big Boy as she (or he, there has been some debate about Big Boy's proper gender), heads back home to Cheyenne after 52 years sleeping in the southern California sun.

And out in the mid west, near towns that have grown dear to me, thunder storms are getting underway.   I peer at the radar map to see if tiny Arthur, little Elm Creek, and North Platte are under threat. The field is full of chasers.  It is going to be a big weather weekend in the part of our country that gets big weather.  Some will not be there who would have been if tragedy had not struck almost a year ago near El Reno.  They are missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment