Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Calipatria

Monday was an interesting day.  My peeps left for Mexico in the morning, then neighbor Seann left for El Centro, then neighbor David left to go into town.  It was warm, and the morning lapsed into peaceful quiet, marked only by birdsong and the distant, sleepy drone of a generator running somewhere.  I had plans for the day.  I was going to town to do some shopping, and had promised I'd do a water and garbage run.  I had gotten up early and made coffee so I'd be ready to be civil to Biela when she came over for a shower before hitting the road.  I was dressed and the bedding was put away, the bed put back into couch mode.  Theoretically I should have been ready to leap up and start getting things done as soon as I hugged my campers goodbye for the day.

But a terrible sleepiness overtook me.  It was so quiet.  It was so peaceful.  I tried another cup of coffee, I tried to read for awhile, but in the end I gave up and flopped back down for a nap.  I set the alarm so I wouldn't sleep too many hours and gave up the struggle.

I awoke before the alarm went off, thirsty and hot.  I still felt logey and half-drugged with the soporific warmth and quiet, but I forced myself to get up and take a shower and prepare to go out.  It was later than I wanted by the time I finally got going, but at least I got going.

My first stop was the hardware store in Calipatria for a 12-volt socket and extension cord so I could stop begging recharge privileges from my campmates.  Calipatria is a tidy little town that always seems white and fresh to me after scruffy Niland and the dun colored desert and tan and green fields that flank Highway 111 for the 8 miles it takes to get there from Niland.

In the center of town is a clock tower with thermometer.  They also have a very tall flagpole.


The hardware store is Zendejas Hardware.


Zendejas is the go-to place for all kinds of stuff.  They are the closest and best hardware store for many miles.  It's a family run business, and there is always someone to help you and make sure you find what you need.  It's not a huge store, but it is well stocked and the service is excellent.


They have a garden section too, and have things like gravel and landscaping materials and pet supplies.  They even sell tropical fish!


Somehow we always end up making many trips to Zendejas when we are staying at the Slabs, for things like screws and wire and tools and dog biscuits for all the beloved Slab dogs.  They get Five Trees on the Mountain.

Right next door is the Fair Store.


I've been by there many times, and to use a turn of phrase from my Dad, "I've been layin' off to go in there."  I finally decided that I was going to check it out.


The Fair Store sells clothing, primarily clothes for work, hunting, outdoor sports like paintball, and uniforms.  They stock an astonishing number of uniforms, including California Department of Corrections apparel in use at the nearby Calipatria prison.  Those racks gave me the creeps, so I didn't take any pictures of them.  But they also have a lot of old stuff high up on the upper shelves that appear to be there just for interest.

A collection of guns and western memorabilia.


A few more weapons and a row of vintage and interesting bottles.


More fascinating stuff.


There was yet more to the collection, all of it dust free and carefully arranged, often with labels.  I was short on time, so I didn't give it the careful attention it probably deserved.  They had an old pinball machine which I was told didn't work, since mice had gotten to the wiring and it would be expensive to repair.  They were using it as a table.

There was  a good work boot section, including the classic Redwing work shoe.


Tons of jeans and tshirts, quite a lot of camo, and even some sport coats.  They sell B.D.U. fatigues and law enforcement uniforms, paint ball guns and supplies.  This is an interesting little store, a solid place for a working man to get the duds he needs to get the job done.

I told the lady who asked me if I needed anything that I was just stopping in to check things out after having passed by so many times.  She told me it is a family run store which has been in operation for sixty years!  Art and Lydia Valdez are the owners, and after so many years they are preparing to retire and turn things over to their son Steve.

It is an interesting place, worth a stop if you are in Calipatria and needing sturdy work or hunting clothes.   They have a lot of stuff in their little store, and very friendly service.  You can also check them out at www.fairstoreuniforms.com.

After Calipatria, it was on to the Two Rivers Rest Stop to drop off garbage.  Then on to Brawley to shop at the Vons for groceries and a few necessities not available elsewhere, and to check out the Family Dollar Store.   On the swing back by Two Rivers, I stopped again to get water.  The pump was running slow and it took forever to get the containers filled.  But it was peaceful and calm, with the sound of birds from the nearby waterfowl refuge calling in the last amber light of the sunset. 

I got back to camp after dark and steamed tamales for a quick dinner.  My peeps were back, having successfully gotten their prescriptions filled for far less than they would have paid at a U.S. pharmacy.

We sat around talking, and then we made an interesting phone call.

No comments:

Post a Comment