Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Getta Garmin

Instead of talking about how beautiful the pink sunset was over the Great Salt Lake (it was), how I’m sorry I wasn’t able to get a good picture of the Salt Flats outside of Wendover because there was no good viewpoint from the Eastbound side of I80, a few words about navigation aids.

I learned to drive back in the stone age when there was no gps navigation available to the general public.  It was a watershed moment for me when I realized that I could find my way around, that I could use a map, that making a wrong turn or not being able to immediately find an address wasn’t the end of the world.  This made me somewhat snooty about gps systems when it started to seem like everyone was getting one.  I thought it was cheating.  I felt that a real mountain girl would navigate with the aid of the stars, the mossy sides of trees, a piece of string, and a compass.
When I got my first smart phone it was a while before I tried the gps nagivation on it.  Then it struck me that not using something I had paid for was sort of dumb.  So I tried it out around home where I didn’t really need it, in order to get familiar with it before it really counted.  I was amazed at how helpful and even fun it was.  Ok, I admit it, the crotchedy old Luddite was hooked.   There started to be times when I was really counting on it being there.

But since the smart phone gps is dependent on data from the cell towers, it only works where there’s data coverage.  Usually that’s plenty for me, but for this trip I started to think it might not be a bad idea to get a dedicated gps system that took its data direct from the satellite.  The cost has come down so much now that it wasn’t a hard decision, and I had some credits with a retailer that meant I could get a good deal on a basic unit.  I picked the Garmin Nuvi 50LM because it had positive user reviews and it was on sale.  Also, Garmin is a respected name, and I wanted something that worked. 
I’ve been using it on this trip and I’m very pleased.  Tonight I have to say that getting that thing was a strategic win.  Nuvi got me through the craziness of Salt Lake City to my destination for the night without a hitch.  I could have used the phone gps and it probably would have worked, but there really is something to having a device that does one thing and does it well.  This model has “lane assist,” which guides you into the correct lane on hairy stretches of freeway.  When you are far from home, tired, and have driven through a bugtastic swarm of some kind of insect that has smeared the crap out of your windshield, it’s no time to stand on pride, compasses and string.  Could I make it without the gps?  Of course.  But boy howdy I’m glad I didn’t have to tonight.  My main concern was getting reliable guidance when pulling the trailer, which is when I’ll be a lot less nimble and will need to have a good idea of where I’m going and how to get there.  But it sure came in handy getting me through what felt like a rat’s nest of merging and splitting lanes and swooping turns and local drivers who just wanted the lumbering out of towner to get out of their way!  I’ll keep my maps and I’ll remember that sophisticated technology can crap out on you at any time, so you need to be prepared to Amish it if necessary.  But I’m sold.  Get a Garmin.

Another strategic win:  getting the A/C fixed.  I would have been a sad puppy without it.  Stategic fail:  putting the snacks just out of arm reach of the driver.  Other strategic fail: shuffle on the mp3 player.  More about that tomorrow.

Forgotten stuff: favorite toothbrush, laundry bag, spray for sore shoulder.  The expedition captain says we will carry on nevertheless.
Maybe it’s a little harder to make 500 miles in a day than I thought it would be.  But I’m going to get rested up tonight and try to make time tomorrow. NO SNICKERING!  I CAN HEAR YOU FROM HERE! 

As my dear late friend Randy’s heroine Scarlett O’Hara said, “Tomorrow is another day.”

 
 
This fellow is called Wendover Will.

No comments:

Post a Comment