Monday, June 17, 2013

Tucumcari Tonight!

Actually by tonight I don't plan to be in Tucumcari, but that is the catch phrase that was originally used on billboards luring travelers to the town along Route 66, "the Mother Road".  And in case it hasn't been obvious yet, I am on the old Route 66.  There are lots of businesses making hay on this classic old cultural icon of America, and also lots of signs of places that once did (or tried to), but are now closed, or fallen down, or remain only as sad, ragged and rusty traces of sign posts and collapsed buildings.  These cultural artifacts are beautiful, poignant and fascinating in their own way.  They would make a great photo journalism project for someone who had skills and wanted to record the vanishing traces of the old Route 66 heyday.  I see them as I drive by them, and so can't get pictures. 

I'll try to add some pics to this post when I can. 

Currently at the Tucumcari Flying J, which gets at least 4 trees for the Denny's with outlets, the friendly service, and most of all the pull-through parking spots.  Happiness is a pull-through parking stall (especially after last night).

No comments:

Post a Comment