Saturday, June 15, 2013

Oklahoma!

Oklahoma! 
Where the wind comes sweepin' down the plain
And the wavin' wheat
Can sure smell sweet
When the wind comes right behind the rain!
 
 
Slipped into Oklahoma before I knew it, but was crushed when I missed the welcome center, which had a gift shop.  I considered looping back to it, but then decided it was probably closed anyway.  Beautiful sunset behind clouds on one side of me as I angled southwest down 44, and a flickering, muttering thunderstorm on my left.
 
I feel a sense of welcome and relief as I come back into the west where I feel most at home, even in a place I've never been before.  I have roots here.  One set of grandparents were born and raised in Oklahoma and only came to California, bumping along on dusty roads, like a generation of others seeking something better than the Dustbowl and the Depression.

My plan was to make a stop in El Reno, but by the time I left Joplin I decided it was too far, so I aimed for the Sapulpa Walmart as a halfway point.

No comments:

Post a Comment